Tuesday, April 20, 2010

As If We Didn't Have Enough to Worry Us...

I have reached crisis defecit.

"Is photography in crisis... threadbare...just plain done...???


I don't know... and, not to put a tooth in it, as elders in my childhood used intone,
I don't much care.

Here is a photo of a typical thatched cottage in Ireland... the sort of image that makes even hardened cynics think fondly of days of yore. It has been "enhanced" in a way that speaks to my unconscious, perhaps, or that is to the portion of my unconscious that is still there... it's hard to communicate with it, as it remains, happily, unconscious.

The only crisis I can think of at the moment would occur if there were no cottages left to photograph.

Really...

Thatched Cottage in Ireland

And here is a cottage that is not thatched, just for variety's sake.


Irish Cottage

5 comments:

David T. Macknet said...

The only way that photography could be in crisis would be due to restrictions upon taking photographs. Other than that, I really can't see where the issue lies.

Yes - one can go to far with postprocessing. That's always been the case, though.

Everyone has their own preferences, and photography is an art like any other: it's about how the artist interprets / views the world, NOT about any absolute standard.

If it speaks to you / expresses what you wish to express, it has performed as it should.

If it does not express what you wished to express, well, tweak the heck out of it until it does.

Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

A fine robust response and one that is just right.

Philosophers fascinate me, as I spent years wondering what was the matter with Plato and wondering if he might not have been "on something" or not getting enough to eat.

His influence is everywhere in aesthetics, which makes for entertaining reading, however.

David T. Macknet said...

I'm afraid that the only thing Plato was on was ... well, inappropriate to mention. Terribly tempting to mention, though, as it belonged to Socrates. Truly tempting.

Going away now.

Before I mention it.

David T. Macknet said...

Of course, the other philosophers I know (here in Glasgow) are fairly universally on large quantities of alcohol. Nightly.

Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I've updated here with some thoughts on aesthetics. If any of the philsophers can help, help would be gratefully accepted.