Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Better Safe Than Sorry

The question of public space and where photographers may or may not
take photos is increasingly well documented.

I have just read a sobering report from Australia where
a frighful fuss broke out when an amateur photographer was
asked to move away from a space that seemed public,
but was not.

"I am a grandma", her plea for understanding and acceptance
did not seem to wash.

I have to admit I smiled.

If I used my grandmotherly status daily as proof
of personal worth, I expect I would bring the house
down with laughter.

However the distress that can be caused when a person
is repremanded in public (even if that public space is technically private)
can be very real.

Study where you take photos.

It will save energy...
and prevent wrinkles so that
corrective filters of photo editing will not be needed...

3 comments:

David T. Macknet said...

I simply do not go into places which forbid photography. Period. The sole exception is my passing through the airport ... and I take pictures there, too.

If I have a right to be there, I have a right to record my presence. If I am denied this right, I will leave, never to return.

I will not visit any National Trust for Scotland museums, for example.

David T. Macknet said...

Of course, I just open my mouth and everyone thinks, "oh, he's American, he's a tourist."

Bah.

Do not let them restrict you.

Take pictures, even when it says not to. Challenge them! They take pictures of you all the time!

Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

Thank you for sharing this.

One professional photographer I spoke to made a joke of having his camera broken in a street riot, explaining that it was one way of getting a new (and better) one on insurance.

My life, mostly fiddling with ISO and focusing on flower centres seems quite dull...